Yes. That Target. The same one with the fancy designer clothes and home goods and the super fun dollar section. And although not every Target has the real grocery department, granting it the title of PFresh Target, we do have two close to me that have that distinction.
Of course, one can’t possibly do their primary grocery shop at these Target stores, but they have some wonderful vegan friendly items if you are already in the store anyway. They may even have more variety than you expect. And, let’s face it. Who doesn’t love a Target run?
Target PFresh stores have all the basics. There’s pasta (even Banza!), canned beans, jarred pasta sauce (including my favorite by Rao’s), canned veggies, bread (even Dave’s!), refrigerated juices, and frozen basics. They do have some basic produce items like bananas and avocados. What you may not expect is the variety of plant based items in their refrigerated and freezer sections.
Here’s the unexpected that they have:
- This vegan “dairy” line is wonderful. My Target grocery carries their plant based butter, roadhouse style spreadable “cheese,” and vegan mozzarella. The mozzarella is grateable and is a great addition to my homemade pizza!
- Target carries both Beyond Meat and Impossible products.
- Lightlife products
- Field Roast sausages and cheeses
- Tofurky products
- Hodo seasoned tofu products
- Organic tofu
Plant-based milk products
- They carry a variety of brands of plant based milk, including Silk, Almond Breeze, So Delicious, Califia, and Target’s store brand, Good and Gather. They even have my favorite: the plain Silk Protein milk.
- Target also carries a few types of non-dairy creamer!
- They also have a decent variety of non-dairy ice cream, including their own store brand, So Delicious, and Ben and Jerry’s. I also found the plant-based Kind ice cream bars (totally worth the calories, btw.)
- Vegan yogurts by So Delicious and Silk.
- Daiya cheese slices.
Vegan friendly items for baking
- Organic sugar. Since regular sugar is assumed to be processed with bone char, it’s a safer bet to purchase organic varieties.
- Bob’s Red Mill products, including egg replacer and nutritional yeast.
- Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- Toll House allergen free chocolate chips
Frozen vegan meals
- Gardein products are here!
- Target’s store brand Good and Gather has frozen “chicken” nuggets and tenders.
- Sweet Earth vegan meals
- Fat Rabbit vegetarian meals (reading the ingredients, some varieties are vegan, but are advertised as vegetarian)
- They carry all the breads, bagels, and buns! My favorite national brand for bread. All are vegan except the cinnamon raisin bread.
Most Target stores do have a selection of grocery basics, even if they don’t have produce. But the produce section is your clue that the location is a PFresh Target. I love that there are a few items here that I can’t find anywhere else, and that will keep me shopping at these stores!
What’s interesting about Richmond and the grocery landscape here is that we have so much variety! In the same shopping center as this Target store I visited for this post, there is a Food Lion and an Aldi, and, across the street from these 3 stores, a Kroger Marketplace. That’s a lot of choices! We are indeed lucky in the RVA!
I’m posting a day early just in case we lose power tomorrow due to the expected ice storm. As always, I hope you all are safe and healthy!