When I was little, a favorite side dish at my house was yellow rice. Do you know the kind? It comes in a bright yellow, shiny bag. It’s delicious, but it’s also full of MSG and other processed ingredients.
Not too long ago, I had an epiphany of sorts while wandering the aisle of the grocery store. I decided to make rice with coconut milk and turmeric, all ingredients I stock in my vegan pantry. The result was delicious, and it made me think of that childhood favorite side dish. Plus, all of the ingredients are real, and this recipe is allergy friendly!
Here’s how to make it:
- 1 cup white rice. (I typically keep basmati on hand.)
- 1 can coconut milk (regular or light, your preference) plus enough water to make 2 cups liquid
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic or onion salt or powder OR an frozen crushed garlic cube
- 1 tsp salt, plus additional after cooking, to taste
- If you happen to have saffron, you can add a healthy pinch of this to the mix as well, but it’s not necessary.
Place all ingredients in a medium to large saucepan and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Allow to cook for time specified for your variety of rice (usually 15 mins for white rice.) Stir and serve! Makes enough for 4-6 generous servings.
Try it garnished with chopped green onion or chives. This makes a great accompaniment to roasted veggies, tofu, or beans.
I will continue to create and post dishes which rely on vegan pantry staples as we continue to quarantine from the coronavirus. If you try this dish, let me know! I hope everyone stays safe and healthy.