Vegan Cream of Mushroom and Rice Soup
You know, sometimes you’re just a girl, standing in front of the fridge, asking it to inspire you to make something amazing for dinner out of nothing. That was me the other night. And my fridge delivered!
I spotted a forgotten container of baby bellas when I realized what I could make for dinner. On this cold January day, I was suddenly craving cream of mushroom soup with rice. With no recipe, I just threw this together. There were absolutely no leftovers, and even my mushroom reluctant daughter enjoyed it! So this will definitely go into rotation as a winter meal, and now I’m sharing the recipe with you!
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 T minced garlic
- Olive oil, for sauteing
- 1 carton baby bella mushrooms, diced small. (I used my hand chopper)
- ½ cup uncooked rice (I like Basmati)
- 1 can Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 carton vegetable broth
- 1 T Better Than Bouillon paste, vegetable flavor
- 1 tsp thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Silk Protein Milk, original
- In a soup pot or Dutch oven, warm 1-2 T olive oil over medium heat until fragrant.
- Add onions and garlic, add salt, and saute until just turning brown.
- Add diced mushrooms and saute until brown.
- Sprinkle flour over onion and mushroom mixture, stirring until combined.
- Deglaze the pan with a bit of the broth, stirring to get all of the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add remaining broth, beans, bouillon paste, and rice, pepper to taste, and thyme, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add plant milk until desired consistency is achieved (about 1 cup).
- Adjust seasonings to taste, and enjoy! Serves 4.
Do you love soup weather as much as I do? If you try this recipe, post on Instagram and tag me! @annecreates
As always, I hope you all are safe and healthy.