Are you looking for a more creative version of the traditional cole slaw? Something both sweet and tangy? With the crunch and sweetness of apple, the creaminess of the mayo, the bite of red onion and spicy mustard, and the acidity of apple cider vinegar, this is a tasty summer side dish and a great accompaniment to a wrap, sandwich, or jackfruit barbecue!
Here’s how to make it:
- 1 package shredded cabbage, preferably with red cabbage
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 Apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 2 T Apple cider vinegar
- Salt if desired
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the mayo, mustard, apple cider vinegar, and salt together to make the dressing.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix.
- Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve immediately, or keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
*Note: If you can’t find the cole slaw mix that has red cabbage included, you can add shredded red cabbage to a regular mix. Trader Joe’s has the mix with red cabbage. I struggled to find this at Wegmans, but did find a regular mix plus a bag of just shredded red cabbage.
Do you love cold salads? This is a new one in my repertoire! If you make this, take a picture, post on Instagram, and tag me annecreates!
As always, I hope you all are safe and healthy.