We had one of those nights last week when I couldn’t figure out what we were going to have for dinner. None of the suggestions I made suited my teenager. And then I peeked in the pantry for ideas and spotted a jar of Trader Joe’s salsa verde, and that’s when inspiration struck. Sure, it feels like 105 degrees outside (after all, it is August in Virginia), but chili verde is always delicious and comforting. And as we packed up my older daughter for her second year of college, comfort was in order.
Like many veganized soups, I rely on Walmart’s Sam’s Choice vegan protein broth to add savory creaminess to this chili.
I’m going to count this spur of the moment creation a success, since according to both of my kids, it was delicious, and there were no leftovers! So, without further delay, here’s the recipe:
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, or Dorot frozen garlic cubes
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 T Better than Bouillon paste, vegetable flavor
- 1 cup plant-based milk of your choice (I like Silk protein milk)
- 1 cup Trader Joe’s salsa verde
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Lidl seasoning salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt to taste
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, warm the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the diced onions and garlic, sauteing until translucent.
- Add the diced jalapeno and spices, cooking until fragrant.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the plant-based milk and stir.
- Taste and adjust spices if needed.
- Serve over cooked rice, if desired.
- Garnish with additional salsa verde and red chili flakes, if desired.
- Don’t have a Trader Joe’s near you? Any favorite store bought jarred salsa verde should do!
- Don’t like the heat of fresh jalapenos? Try adding a can of diced green chilis instead for a milder kick.
- Can’t find the vegan protein broth from Walmart? Substitute extra creamy oat milk or Silk protein milk instead.
- Don’t have the Better Than Bouillon paste? Sub vegetable broth for the paste and water.
Looking for a more traditional tomato based chili? Check out my original Vegan Chili recipe!
Thanks for stopping by my blog! If you try this recipe, post about it and tag me @annecreates on Instagram! As always, I hope you all are safe and healthy.