One of the things I’ve missed this year in Richmond, the city of summer festivals, is the Greek Festival. Obviously, it was canceled due to Covid. And although there are fewer things to enjoy there now that I’m vegan, I still love the green beans!
Since I love to try to recreate dishes I love in my own kitchen, I went to work on an adequate substitute. I’ve been making this recipe for years now, and it is a favorite simple side dish that tastes gormet!
- 1 T olive oil
- One onion, cut in quarters and thinly sliced.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or use refrigerated minced garlic or frozen garlic cubes)
- 2 cans green beans, drained
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp Trader Joe’s onion salt
- 1 T Italian seasoning
- 1 T dried oregano (I like Litehouse brand)
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- In a medium saucepan, warm the olive oil over medium heat until fragrant.
- Add the onions and garlic, cooking until translucent and beginning to brown.
- Add the green beans and stir to combine.
- Add the tomatoes, then add about ⅓ can of water to the empty tomato can, swishing to get the remaining tomato juice out of the container, and add to the mix.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir, and bring to a simmer.
- Allow to simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Adjust salt/seasonings as needed, and serve!
If you try my recipe, take pictures, post to Instagram, and tag me @annecreates
As always, I hope you all are safe and healthy.