During my last trip to Kroger, I was lucky enough to find a huge bargain. They marked down their Simple Truth vegan chorizo sausage links to 45 cents. That is not a typo! Of course, I bought some. These pack a whopping 27g of plant-based protein per sausage. I’ve never tried this seitan chorizo before, but for this price, it was worth the experiment.
I had no idea really how I was going to use this, but inspiration struck after work Tuesday. I would make a one pot dish with rice, peppers, onions, and tomatoes, adding in some Tex Mex flavors as well. I think it turned out well. It even passed the teenager test!
Here’s the recipe:
- One onion, diced
- One bell pepper, your choice in color, diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic (or use Dorot cubes or jarred minced garlic)
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 package Simple Truth seitan chorizo sausage links, cut into diagonal slices
- 1 cup white rice (I like Basmati or Jasmine)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can Rotel
- 1T Tajin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- In a medium saucepan or small Dutch oven, warm the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic, sauteing until translucent. Add about a tsp of salt with this.
- Add the peppers and cook until starting to lightly brown.
- Add the Tajin and paprika, stirring to combine.
- Add the sliced sausage, cooking until slightly brown.
- Add the rice, Rotel, and vegetable broth.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Adjust salt as needed, and serve!
Note: You can easily swap the seitan chorizo with seitan Italian sausage or kielbasa. Simply swap out your spices for 1 T Italian seasoning and 1 tsp red pepper flakes!
And there you go. A quick, one dish, easy weeknight dinner! Leftovers are equally great, and can also become a great filling for a tortilla!
Have you ever tried the Simple Truth seitan chorizo sausage? What did you think? Let me know if you try this recipe! Take a picture and tag me on Instagram @annecreates! As always, I hope you all are safe and healthy.