A few months ago, my daughter expressed some curiosity about making fried spring rolls at home. Knowing that you can buy pre-made vegan egg roll wraps in the store, we decided to try our hand at making them.The twist? We used the air fryer!
Soon after our first successful attempt, our air fryer broke. After 3 years, which coincidentally coincided with the expiration of the factory warranty, our beloved Cuisinart toaster/convection oven/air fryer just stopped working. Everyone in the family was sad. I mean, this appliance was utilized several times a day. The mourning period was… extensive.
Sure, we went to Target to look for a replacement, we searched Amazon for a good deal, but we just couldn’t decide, as we were sufficiently overwhelmed by all of the choices on the market now. We had almost decided to go to Costco and buy a new one, knowing that if we had a problem this time, we could return it there, no questions asked. (We bought our first one somewhere else, but they have the same model at Costco now!)
Then Amazon Prime days happened. What did I see? Our same oven. On sale. A ridiculously GREAT sale. Sold. Oh, happy day! We can now enjoy air fried goodness once again!
These vegan egg rolls feature high protein tofu as the star of the filling, with the meatiness of baby bella mushrooms and crunch of walnuts and cabbage as accents. Using sesame seed oil gives another layer of flavor. Air frying makes these crispy, but not too heavy.
So, behold, the recipe for Vegan air fried egg rolls!
For the filling:
- 1 T avocado oil
- 1 T sesame seed oil
- ½ block extra firm tofu, pressed with paper towels
- ¼ cup walnuts, finely chopped (I use a handheld chopper)
- ½ cup mushrooms, finely chopped (again, use a handheld chopper)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or use Dorot cubes)
- 1 ginger Dorot cube
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- Coleslaw mix (shredded)
For the wraps:
- 8 vegan egg roll wraps (I like Nasoya brand)
- 2 T avocado oil
- 1T sesame seed oil
- In a large, nonstick skillet, warm the avocado and sesame seed oils over medium heat.
- Add chopped walnuts, mushrooms, garlic, and ginger, cooking until lightly browned over medium heat.
- Add tofu, crumbling with your hands as you add it to the pan.
- Add soy sauce. Cook until lightly browned.
- Set mixture aside.
- Prepare a small bowl with water and another with a mix of the 2 T avocado oil and 1 T sesame seed oil; stir to combine.
- Prepare an egg roll wrap for filling by wetting the edges with water (I use my fingertips).
- Fill with two spoonfuls of the tofu mixture and top with a bit of coleslaw mix.
- Fold on a diagonal per the instructions on the egg roll wrap package, sealing the edges.
- Place finished egg rolls on the air fryer basket.
- Brush both sides with the oil mixture.
- Air fry at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, flipping halfway through to ensure even browning. (Air fryers vary, so watch carefully to avoid burning!)
- Dip in your favorite duck or chili sauce, or in a mixture of soy sauce, spicy mustard, and chili garlic sauce!
Do you have an air fryer? Have you ever used them to make egg rolls? Are there any other recipes using the air fryer that you’d like to see? I’d love to hear about it! As always, I hope you all are safe and healthy.
2 thoughts on “Vegan Egg Rolls: Air Fried!”
I saw the great price on that air fryer on Amazon and was tempted but resisted the temptation. I’m not sure I want to learn how to use a new appliance. You and Leigh really praise them though.MomSent from my Galaxy
LikeLiked by 1 person
Looks delicious! I don’t have an air frier. Thinking we will like it though!
LikeLiked by 1 person